Protect Your House From Fire
North American Precis Syndicate
You can protect your home and family and keep the home fires from burning. (NAPS)
(NAPSI)—House fires are more common than many people think. No
matter the season, it’s important to ensure homes and families are well
protected. Therefore, there’s no time like the present to evaluate the
different fire-safety measures in place around your house. If you happen to
it’s an ideal time to bolster your home’s fire safety.
• Be sure you have working smoke detectors on all floors of your
home and outside sleeping areas. Check them once a month, clean them every
six months and change the batteries at least once a year. Better yet, opt for
newer units that come with a 10-year, no-maintenance battery.
• Select appliances with an automatic shutoff.
• Never overload electrical outlets or use extension cords to
replace additional outlets. When remodeling or undertaking repairs, make sure
you engage a licensed electrician for all electrical work.
• Install ground fault circuit interrupters and arc fault circuit
interrupters in kitchens, bathrooms, outdoor areas, unfinished basements and
crawl spaces, garages, boathouses, laundry areas, and within 6 feet of sinks,
bathtubs and shower stalls. These devices have helped save thousands of lives
from fire or shock since being introduced.
• Check your residential fire extinguisher and ensure it is stored
in an easy-to-access location in case of emergency.
• Create a fire escape plan for your home and practice it twice a
year with all family members.
• Opt for noncombustible building materials, whenever possible. Insulation is
especially important. A stone
wool insulation, such as Rockwool Safe
‘n’ Sound, is the preferred choice of many professional
builders. Because of its ability to resist fire up to 1,177ºF-higher
than the temperature of a typical house fire-it stays in place to protect
escape routes and buys occupants precious extra time to escape. Made from
stone, its inorganic composition means it will not produce toxic smoke or
harmful gases when exposed to fire. That’s a key feature, because
smoke, not flames, is the leading cause of fire-related fatalities.
Homes today burn faster than in years past because they’re loaded
with more synthetic materials. In the event of a fire, occupants typically
have just a few minutes to get themselves to safety. Careful selection of
building materials and implementing both fire prevention devices and measures
can make all the difference when every second counts.
For further facts, go to www.rockwool.com/products/safensound.
“Stone wool insulation will not produce
toxic smoke or harmful gases when exposed to fire. That’s a key
feature, because smoke, not flames, is the leading cause of fire-related
On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)